Stay tuned to this page to learn about growing collections, fun additions, and exciting changes in the kids library!
Hoopla is bringing back Bonus Borrows one month every quarter and February is the lucky month this quarter!
Check out Hoopla for some Bonus Borrows, titles that don't use any of your monthly hoopla Instant Borrows! Click the topics below to be directed to specific topics of interest.
- School Age Suggested Reading
- Laugh Out Loud
- Characters You'll Love
- Inspiration, Spirituality & Faith Based
- True Stories
- All Titles
STORY TIME KITS
Now you can have Story Time at home!
- Spring Story Time Kit - This kit includes a read-aloud, ebooks, music, a craft, a movie, and a coloring page centered around spring, butterflies, and flowers.
- Winter Story Time Kit - This kit includes ebooks, music, a craft, 2 movies, and a coloring page centered around winter, snow, and snowmen.
- Fairy Tale Story Time Kit - This kit includes a read-aloud, ebooks, a song, a craft, and a coloring page centered around classic and remade fairy tales, fables, and nursery rhymes.
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Civil War (Gr. 4-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Picture books for older readers
You may have noticed this new collection located near the new picture books. This collection is designed for children who enjoy the picture book format, but are looking for more mature themes. These titles generally have more words on each page, but still feature large illustrations. Authors you'll find in this collection will be Jacqueline Woodson, Patricia Polacco, Jon Scieszka, and Judi Barrett. You'll also find many of our Magic School Bus books here too! So stop by and challenge your little reader with these thought-provoking titles. A list of all the titles in this collection can be found here.
Leveled Early Readers
You may have noticed that we've recently restructured our Early Readers. We went from 4 levels down to 3 levels.
Level 1: largest text, very short sentences, easy sight words, relies heavily on illustrations.
Level 2: smaller text, 1-to-5 sentences on the page, relies somewhat on illustrations.
Level 3: smallest text, paragraphs on the page, chapters, relies less on illustrations.
Remember, it is best to evaluate each book to best suit your little reader. The levels are here to guide you on a decision, but it is best to open the book and judge the reading level yourself.