Employment at Sugar Grove Public Library District
Technical Services Assistant
The Sugar Grove Public Library District is looking for a friendly, tech-savvy, detail-oriented Technical Services Assistant for an 8 hour per week position with flexible scheduling. This position reports to the Technical Services Supervisor and assists with receiving, processing, and repairing library materials.
The ideal candidate:
- Is detail-oriented and able to find errors to ensure the accuracy of the library collection
- Proficient in using computer programs including Canva and Microsoft Office
- Follows directions for the workflows of the department
Examples of work responsibilities:
- Opens boxes of newly received/ordered materials and check received against invoice, sort items onto carts to be processed
- Prepares all newly received materials for circulation by adhering various jackets, RFID labels, and other secondary processing materials
- Cleans, mends and repairs any library materials including repairs to cases, book covers, jackets, etc.
- Design covers for DVD cases and other materials using Canva
- Inventories all Tech Services supplies and order needed supplies, keeping supervisor informed concerning budget
- Quality control - checks items after processing has been completed before sending to various department for shelving/check-in.
- Searches the library’s integrated library system (ILS)
- Receives and processes magazines and other periodicals
- Follows directions to perform routine maintenance of the cataloging database such as changing items from new to regular status and withdrawing designated materials
- Prepares routine reports from the cataloging database, retrieves materials on hold, searches stacks for items requiring attention (lost, missing, label changes, etc.)
- Holds a high school diploma. An LTA is preferred but not required
- Ability to accurately place items in alphabetical and numeric order
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Manual dexterity sufficient to perform extensive keyboarding required
- Ability to search using the automated catalog (ILS) required
- Must be able to regularly lift 35 lbs., bend / lift boxes of books and push carts weighing 150 lbs.
- General knowledge of MARC format, Dewey Decimal Classification System, and of integrated library systems and networks desired
Hours and Benefits:
This is an non-exempt part time position serving 8 hours a week with flexible scheduling during the Library’s operating hours. The Library is open Sunday 2pm – 6pm, Monday – Thursday 10am – 8 pm, Friday Closed, and Saturday 10am – 4pm. Candidates must work a minimum of one four hour shift during the hours of 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, and the other hours may be completed during any of the Library's operating hours. This is a fully in-person position with no remote working opportunities. Hourly salary range begins at $15.00 per hour. The Library offers a Health Reimbursement Account benefit of $1,700 per calendar year ($65 per paycheck).
The Sugar Grove Public Library District serves 16,145 from the Village of Sugar Grove, Sugar Grove Township, and select neighborhoods in Montgomery and Aurora. We are located 50 miles west of Chicago, minutes from I-88. The Library is open 50 hours a week: Monday – Thursday: 10am- 8pm, Friday: Closed, Saturday 10am – 4pm, and Sunday 2pm – 6pm.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Denise Towne, Technical Services Supervisor.
Application open until filled.
Search for more Illinois Library jobs on the RAILS job board: https://www.railslibraries.info/jobs
Volunteering is a great way to learn about how libraries operate and get practical experience if you are interested in working in libraries. Click here to view more information about volunteering at our library.